Thursday 24 February 2011

.where.time.stands.still.


oh.god. where to even begin. I think instead of trying to pull strings in my brain trying to remember all the things I've wanted to blog about, I think I'll just start with my most recent adventure. 



I feel like my eyes have been opened to a whole new world. A world where material things aren't that important. A world where you can loose yourself on a beach for hours. A world where the people are friendly and the sun always shines. I spent 5 nights in Albuferia, Portugal and it was absolutely breathtaking. Not only do I want to visit again, but I'd like my own little flat by the beach. If you've ever been to a very touristy beach destination, you'll notice that along the beautiful coast will be a wall of hotels. There was a beach about a 10 minute walk from our hotel and it was delightful. A few beach front restaurants, but the entire area was just local housing. Such a very different way of living out there. Vacation really does take all your stress away, especially when you have no way of being contacted to the outside world. But this trip has made me realize that its not the vacation that relaxes you, its the place.Your environment is what gives you a lot of your stress and as much as you would like to "zen" out your home, its not enough to really feel relaxed. Imagine waking up to the sun warming your face. You go to work at whatever job you have. Walk home, which over looks the ocean, and maybe take a walk to the beach to end your day. Take off those socks and shoes and feel the sand squish in between your toes exfoliating all those rough edges. Take a deep breath of that crisp clean air. Have a seat and just watch. Watch the kids play volleyball nearby, watch the waves crash into the pier, watch the birds soar in the sky and the sun slowly making its way down. Imagine doing that everyday. That is the life I want. To be at total peace. 

Coming home from our wonderful vacation was like a slap in the face. Flying over England above the clouds the sun was shinning and so soothing, but after really looking at these clouds, not a single break in cloud. Not a single hole where sun could possibly shine through. I knew before we even landed that it would be a depressing day in the UK, or should I say a regular day in the UK. Everyone needs vacation, its a holidays for your soul, for your insanity. We made friends with our bartenders - Felipe and Weyde - they moved from Brasil to Portugal for a somewhat better life, the economy is more stable in Portugal and more jobs. They had the right idea, one hot country to the next. Why I decided to move to England is beyond me lol. I think its time for another change :) 
But I have to say, everywhere I have been gives me a little insight as to what I want in the end, where I want to be. This is supposed to be a time to discover, to find out more about myself and I am glad to actually see it. Like for instance, I WANT EUROPEAN COFFEE for the rest of my life. The coffee in Portugal was absolutely mouthwatering deliciousness! After moving to the UK, tea has pretty much replaced my daily coffee. It was SO good to be a regular coffee drinker, but even better because it was European coffee, best EVER. I am totally going to be one of those crazy people who spends like $1200 on an imported espresso maker.... you think im crazy now, but once you come over and your lips touch that coffee, you will be a believer too. trust. 

We also had the chance to meet a very lovely couple at our resort. Its nice to be at an age where you can actually engage in conversation with people that are older and enjoy what they have to say. Its a real grown-up feeling lol. The conversations feel so different when you engage with an older generation and its funny how you can have so much in common when at such different stages. The way I see it, you start off as babies with no worries. Then you grow up and work like a crazy mule to save a nest egg of cash. Then you get old and tired and go back to the time of no worries. The couple we met is now in the stages of total relaxation while we have just begun the grunt work of life. Is it my retirement yet?!

The sunshine does a lot for your mood, soul, and overall health. If you don't believe me, move to the UK and then go on vacation! 

More pictures on our gallery (link on the right!)





No comments:

Post a Comment