Monday 11 October 2010

[revise.restyle.adapt]

Change is inevitable. You can either choose to accept this notion and move with the wind, or you can ignore this fact and be stuck in limbo. Much like the city I have come to call home, it has changed only to better itself. The 'City of 1000 trades' has transformed itself, restyled, and revised to better fit in with modern times. Walking through the city you can see a little bit of old mixed in with something new and modern. It gives B'ham a special look and feel. I feel like I've almost become a person of a 1000 trades - one must be a chef, a house keeper, a tourist, a friend, a girlfriend, a teacher, a disciplinary, and the list goes on. It is not easy starting somewhere new, starting with nothing. You must adapt and change to what is around you. You must restyle your look so you don't look completely 100% Canadian! One thing I cannot hide, is my perfect Canadian accent, which surprises me everyday when people ask if I am American! Are you kidding! Not a day goes by I am not asked if I am American! As good as change can be, its nice to keep pieces of who you are. Little pieces that make you who you are, or pieces that a give a place its character. A little reminder of where you came from. In the case of this new home, nothing can mask the beautiful architecture of some of the buildings in b'ham, such as Victoria Square.

Birmingham 2010
Speaking of North America - the tradition of THANKSGIVING was celebrated in b'ham last night! It was lovely! The cold weather could not stop us from having a magnificent feast! All the Canadians and Aussies got together and enjoyed a beautifully cooked turkey, with marvelous sides to go with! Turkey-itis hit me in the head like a pile of bricks! Needless to say I had a great sleep :) Once I get a hold of some photos they will be posted! I am thankful for the wonderful new family of friends that have welcomed mike and I here in this new city. Thankful for wonderful family on all sides who have supported our decision to come out here for a first hand experience. And last but not least, thankful for man who turns my world upside down everyday. You always put me ahead of anything you need, and always ensure I am comfortable and happy. I know this has been a rough beginning but I am happy I am here with you and nonother. <3

* Enjoy what comes to you. Embrace all the familiar and happy faces. Change is good, and in this case, can make you better. Change can make you stronger. It will make you think on your feet, make you do things out of your ordinary, it can make you feel like a new person. Hopefully, a better one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment